Monday, March 29, 2010

Playtime, Playroom Makeover

After I came home from St. Louis, I really wanted to establish a set 'playroom' for Lily. Anne has such a great set up with hers in the basement. It's a separate room, toys all sprawled out, its a mess, and it's how it's suppose to be!
Our basement has a guest bedroom, which I'm not quite ready to give up to Lily for a playroom, sorry Lily, and a living area with a fireplace which we also use as a second tv room. I had to improvise because I didn't want to be overcome with toys in every room of the house which is what it was about to become. The baskets that I placed sporadically around the house were overflowing, and now the small baby knick knacks have turned into larger, louder, bolder, musical apparatuses and dolls, and strollers, and tables, oh my!
We have a small area right as you walk into the basement, with a little nook, a great wall, and it is semi blocked off by an oversized chair into the tv area. This area was currently zoned for a future bar which Mike so seriously claimed he was going to build. His no so used kegerator was out of commision, but was displayed and I know Mike peered at it with envy of his younger college years. Instead, I swooped in like a hawk and without little, actually lets be honest, no discussion, I executively decided that a bar was not important at this point in our life, and go figure, Lily was. So, a play area would be in the making!
So when I get something in my head, I want to be able to do it immediately. With this being a more realistic task to be done immediately, I travelled to our local AC Moore for arts and crafts. Mike was now on board and we both picked out the tree to be on the wall, and he claimed he saw my vision. I bought wooden letters, super cute scrapbook paper, ribbon, a tub of DecoPage and I was off.....The rest I had around the house and I utilized what I had so I didn't have to buy! I was so severely tempted by the looks of everything in Pottery Barn Kids but I with held and instead used it as inspiration. One day, just one day I will have a playroom that looks just like theirs, but mine, today will have to do!
Without further ado, I present my playroom makeover.....
It wasn't hard, I know you can do it!

Of course, I know things will change over the years, it will not always look perfect. I hope to have dress ups hanging from the flower hooks, her art on the wall, possibly a new lamp for better lighting, and I am sure, more toys. Just another joy of children! But there is no reason that a playroom cannot add a little bit of class to your home. It doesn't have to be a wreckage of mismatched decorations!

2 comments:

Allison said...

Love it! I am also tempted by the PBkids catalog -- every day. You did a great job, I bet Lily loves it. :)

Megan Kuemmerlin said...

That is so cute!!! You are becoming quite the Betty homemaker :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails