Monday, March 22, 2010

'a doo run run Run'

Saturday morning at 4:30 I woke to my phone alarm, quite sleepy, after a not so good night of sleep. My nerves got the best of me, and I dreamt of my race, of me being late, also waking up every 2 hours on the hour. Even though I was sleepy, I was relieved it was actually time to get up so I didn't have to stare at the clock anymore. My first words were, "I don't want to do it, Mike!" He told me I was being silly and that I was going to do just great. I listened, also knowing I didn't want to let myself down. So, I was out the door by 5am on my way downtown to complete my very first half marathon.

Leading up to this day, I ran and trained the best I could. There were a lot of bumps in the road that strayed me from training and following through with my goal, including travelling, the weather, Lily, injury, etc. Also, my partner in running was injured so he was unable to run completely. I was left alone to run which wasn't the biggest problem, but what was, was Mike was not going to be there to cheer me on. I knew that half of the run was composed by your mental capacity, and that would be fulfilled by your support on the sidelines to cheer you on. I would not have my biggest fan there, my husband, and I was very upset. I knew that it was just another challenge thrown in my direction and I couldn't let me down.

My race was off to a great start! The weather was just right, my ipod was blaring with just the right music, and I was filled with such joy to see all the runners around me. I knew once I started running that I had made the right decision in coming down to the city on my own, and even running on my own. The crowd around you was full of good morning energy and it immediately uplifted me! My heart was racing and I was truly excited, I just wish that I had someone to share it with. By mile 2-3, the National Capitol was in sight, and we turned the corner to run down the hill into the center of the city. I was starting to feel emotional. Physically I was feeling GREAT, and I was filled with joy to see the crowd cheer me on. I was staring at the backs of the runners in front of me. Some wore t-shirts with funny sayings that made me giggle, others had displays of the family members for who they were running for due to illnesses like cancer, autism, etc. At that moment, I remembered how lucky I was. I was running! What a feeling it is to remember your health and that you are ok. How grateful I was for the ability to be running on Saturday. Sometimes we forget the little things that mean so much.

The rest of my run was great. I felt such pride running through the city. I was a little troubled by all the hills I had to endure, but I knew it could be worse. My knees were really aching by about mile 10 and I tried walking for a bit, but it actually made it worse. I quickly stretched and was on my way, and before I knew it I was turing the corner of mile 13. Again I was emotional to be near the finishing line. I really wanted to see Mike there to give me a big congrats hug! I ran straight through the finish line in awe that it was over. I was relieved. My heartbeat gradually slowed down and I refueled with the free bananas and bagels they were passing out. I got back to the car in one piece feeling very achey but stretched a bit then was on my way home.

Next stop...GW Parkway Classic 10 mile run....I'm loving it!

3 comments:

Haddon Family said...

you are addicted now I can feel it!!! congratulations!!!

Melissa Vickers said...

hey I think my dad was in the same place on Saturday, he ran a marathon! you should keep my parents in mind for future races, my mom is training for up to 10 miles and maybe a half marathon, and my dad is a machine setting PRs every time (he did the marine corp marathon a few months back, too). they're also doing triathlons, the next big one is may 16th in Virgina Run, it'll be my mom's first full-length triathlon (she did a spring triathlon last year). but anyway you should keep them in mind, maybe it'd be nice to know that some people you know are around and could support you, too!!

congrats =)

Allison said...

Great job momma! What a great way to spend a Saturday. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails