Wednesday, March 17, 2010

AT

I feel like the word 'jet setter' has become somewhat appropriate for my lifestyle in the past few months. Although I may not be setting across the world to exciting new places, I have been travelling a lot. And I'm not really jetting, but mostly driving ;)

Monday night/Tuesday morning, Mike, Lily and I arrived home at 0300 from an exhausting, very long day of driving home from Georgia. The trip was well worth it! It started Friday morning where Mike, Lily and I picked Craig up at my parents house to drive him to Georgia for a hiking expedition. Since the summer, Craig has been training to hike the Appalachian Trail, and Monday, March 15, was his start date. When he asked me a few months ago if I would take him to the beginning of the trail, I couldn't say no! I was so excited that he thought of me to take him. Craig and I, maybe like most brothers and sisters sometimes butt heads. Both our heads are quite strong and sometimes it hinders our family bond. As always, we work things out, and over the years we have grown much closer! Needless to say I was honored to send my brother off. It was reassurance that we will always be there for each other. I am so proud of what he has accomplished and can't wait to hear all the stories he will have for us. My pride for him is strong, although during our drive down to GA, I got quite emotional thinking of him being all alone on the trail, hoping and praying that he would make it home in one piece. He kept telling me how silly I was being and that he is FULLY prepared physically for this trip. The hike will take him from Springer Mountain, GA, all the way to Maine....over 2,000 miles folks! Here is his blog that he will be updating quite a bit. www.trailjournals.com/craigtorbett He also has his cell phone, although he will only be using it to update family, and of course call Sarah, his lovely girlfriend :)

Monday, we drove to Springer Mountain, after spending a wonderful weekend with our cousins in Roswell. Our plan was to make it to the top, where the parking lot was, and there I was planning on taking tons of photos of Craig, maybe hiking a bit with him so we could have a proper 'goodbye' Well, that plan was shot, when we got stuck in the MUDD, about 2 miles from the drop off point. Springer Mountain is in the middle of the Chattahoochee National Forest, and thanks to all the rain a few days prior, the roads were almost impossible to drive through. We were hoping for more of a gravel road, but wet dirt was all we got. Craig told us to turn around and that he would be fine walking the rest of the way. Immediately I was crying, hating that this is how I would say goodbye to him. We hopped out of the van, Mike took a quick shot and then, that was it....Craig was gone. He is so excited to be making these travels. Please pray for his safety. I can't wait for him to come through Virginia so we can see him again, and even hike with him for a bit! The pack on his back, he sewed himself. He has a small mat to sleep on, a single person tent, only about 2 pairs of clothes, two jackets, personal items, and some food. It only weighs 22.6 pounds. Crazy, I know! Throughout the trail, there will be 'drop offs' where he will pick up more food, clothes, or whatever he requests, that we will send him.
Here are some more pics of him getting ready Sunday afternoon. He showed the kids all his gear and they were fascinated! You can also see how small his mat is because Anna, who is 11, just barely fits on it. Uncle Craig and Lily....he will definitely miss his little 'Monkey' (he insisted on calling her that all weekend :)
We couldn't drive all the way down to Georgia, and not see my Mom Mom in South Carolina, so on our way home, we made a pit stop in Greenville and we were able to see my grandmother and Aunt Dee and Uncle Bill. Although it was a bit out of our way, it was so worth it! My grandmother could not have been happier!

She loved Uncle Bill's cell phone!

Why not take a ride on Mom Mom's walker :)

Aunt Dee and Uncle Bill (My Dad's sister)

It was definitely a LONG trip, and one I will remember! Lily was an angel in the car, and I only hope that she will be like that for any other drives we decide to embark upon! Next on our list, a portable DVD player!!

2 comments:

Haddon Family said...

i will absolutely include craig in my prayers over the next few months! What a cool experience!

Melissa Vickers said...

first of all, Craig looks soooo different from the last time I randomly passed by his Facebook page (probably ages ago)... you can tell he's been training!! I'm sure you can't wait to meet up with him in VA!

second of all, I love the new theme on your blog!

=)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails